Today, October 10th, marks the beginning of Mental Health Awareness Week. This year the focus is on being aware of your own mental health and the importance of looking after it.
Making simple changes to how you live can make a huge difference to your well being. It doesn't have to cost a lot or take up too much time so why not start today?
The Mental Health Foundation along with me (!!) recommend these 10 ways to improve your well being:
1. Talk about your feelings.
2. Keep Active - Regular exercise can boost your self esteem, increase concentration and good sleep patterns, make you look and feel good.
3. Eat well - The brain needs a mix of nutrients to stay healthy and function well.
4. Drink sensibly - Alcohol can be used to improve mood, however this is temporary and you can then feel worse because of the way it has affected your brain and body.
5. Keep in touch - Its good for you to keep in contact with friends and family.
6. Ask for help - No one is super human, we all feel overwhelmed, tired at some point. It is intelligent to take help if you need it.
7. Take a break - Get a change of scenery, even just a half hour lunch break, take a walk, ideally find some greenery, nature is an incredible stress deterrent!
8. Do something you're good at - Find something you love to do, or used to love to do. Doing something you enjoy is great for you.
9. Accept who you are - Feeling good about yourself allows you to improve your confidence. Good self esteem helps you to cope when life takes a difficult turn.
10. Care for others - Being kind, showing affection is rewarding and boosts positive
feelings both within and in others.
If you or anyone you know are struggling with any of these or would just like some help putting a healthier lifestyle into place then contact me.